Friday 21 July 2017

Scraps of Summer

As I haven't still got all the stuff I need to finish my One Block Wonder, I took a change of direction  to make a quilt for our branch exhibition, which has to be in by the end of August anyway. The theme of the exhibition is "Scrap Happy" (and the required size is 16'' by 35''), and I like kind of tone it sets. I was (and am) thinking about my kids who are on a seaside holiday with their grandparents - playing on the beach, eating ice-cream, wearing sundresses - you know the lot. So I decided to put together these bits and pieces of summer holidays:

summer quilt

I wanted it to be improvised, so just made a loose sketch and assembled everything right on the quilt sandwich, like this:

summer quilt

You can see the group of fruit already stitched down, and the flowers just cut out and roughly placed in position. I used raw edge appliqué to give it maximum scrappiness, applied little bits of basting glue to keep the pieces in place and stitched them down on FMQ machine setup.

summer quilt

Here is the top part assembled:

summer quilt

And the whole image, without the text:

summer quilt

I didn't take pictures of making the text, because this was the most tedious part of it all - I wrote the letters on freezer paper, ironed it to one side of the fabric, ironed the bondaweb to the other side of the fabric, and then cut out every letter through all the layers. I didn't want the lettering to dominate the quilt, so I chose a fabric with a scrappy feel to it, which kind of breaks the shape of the letters.

I quilted the background with a little curvy pattern (don't know if it has a proper name) in a YLI variegated sandy thread.

summer quilt

I certainly enjoyed making it, this kind of improvised appliqué is my favourite style of work, and I hope I managed to achieved the relaxed, summerly, scrappy, happy look I was aiming for.


Have a nice summer!.. and how 'bout some ice-cream?

ice cream quilt

Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Free Motion Mavericks at Lizzy Lenard Vintage Sewing
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Show Off Saturday at Sew can She

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! You've shown us all the best parts of summer. Great quilting, great appliqué!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, so bright and cheery. Your background quilting is just perfect for the summer holiday theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great piece - could also be "summer memories"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Olena, what a lovely fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A darling, fun piece....loved all the wonderful "fun parts of summer"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun little piece! I love that you kept it relaxed and breezy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so beautiful. Amazing work, just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Olena,

    This really colourful and carefree - you have captured summer so well!

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks - your quilt is this week's featured project!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Елена, прекрасный квилт! С удовольствием рассмотрела!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо, Маргарита! Ваше сообщение пришло как no-reply blogger, попробуйте поменять настройки, чтоб было удобнее общаться :))

      Delete
    2. Лена, отвечаю, как обычно, как всем. Не знаю даже про какие настройки речь. В Блогере 4 года, но не совсем разбираюсь))) Еще раз полюбовалась квилтом))))

      Delete
  10. What a lovely summer memory...I really love the little ribbon tails on the kites.....thank you for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...